1. Chocolate: This is the most common food gift during the holiday season. If you place this gift under the tree, in stockings, or on table, your asking for trouble. The type of chocolate and the amount ingested will cause various digestive tract issues for your pet. Please keep all food and candy away from your pets.
2. Poinsettias: These beautiful plants can cause nausea and vomiting if consumed by your pets. This holiday plant is not as toxic as mistletoe and holly but should be avoid if at all possible.
3. Foods containing raisins. Grapes and raisins are indeed toxic to your dog. The serving size will vary for each dog, however, any amount should warrant caution and a call to your veterinarian. This food item can cause serious injury to the dog’s kidneys and should be delt with immediately.
4. Holly and Mistletoe: These plants are considered moderately to severly toxic to pets. Please call your veterinarian if you think you pet has ingested these plants.
5. Duraflame logs: These firestarting logs are made of sawdust, oils, and waxes. These are not particularly toxic, however, if ingested can cause intestinal discomfort and possible blockage.
So keep an eye out for these toxins and keep your pets safe this holiday season! If you are concerned your pet has ingested any of these toxins, please call us at 913-422-0301. Much love and happy holidays from MAH!